Slime, Glorious Slime


During one of my regular Pinterest trawls for holiday activities for the kids, I stumbled onto a recipe for homemade Slime.  The original recipe calls for Borax – another of the mystery ingredients that I have no idea where to find.  Further investigation into Borax showed that this is a terrible cleaning chemical used in Laundry detergent – definitely not suitable for small children.  Undeterred, I kept searching and I did find a better recipe. 

We had awesome fun making it. Its easy, fun, tactile and quick. Its also not sticky!

Homemade Slime
Two tablespoons Psylum Husk – I found this labeled as “colon cleanse” at the health shop.
1 ½ cup water
Food Colouring (I used both gel colour and powder colour, both worked fine)

Mix the husk and food colouring in a big pot. I also added some edible glitter for some sparkle. Add the water. Boil the mixture on the stove for six minutes. It will stiffen up and stick together. Once the time is up, transfer the gloop to a bowl and let it cool. 

It did leave a bit of sludge on the bottom of the pan but it came off with a bit of soaking.

If the slime sticks to your fingers, try a little less water.

0 comments:

Post a Comment