Shortening?


Being a self confessed Pinterest addict, I am always frustrated by the lack of South African ingredients, instructions and resources. One of the most elusive ingredients for me has been Crisco vegetable shortening. Most of my favourite recipes include this strange and illusive substance. Butter has been my substitute in most instances, but I have always yearned to find out what this magical ingredient would do to my creations.

While shopping at one of the larger retailers, low and behold, I found a tiny 125g block of Holsum solid vegetable fat – Eureka! I have since used it in both my buttercream icing and marshmallow fondant. It is awesome and I’d say essential for the fondant. However, do not substitute it into pure buttercream icing. It tastes disgusting. It makes for fabulous piping and sets beautifully hard but I don’t think I could eat a cake made and filled with this icing, it really is quite terrible. I may use a little in my buttercream for the stability but I’ll be sure to disguise it with lots of butter and vanilla essence.

18 comments:

AshlynBez said...

Hi. Can you tell me if Hollym will stay firm out of the fridge? Is it shelf stable?

AshlynBez said...

Good grief! I meant Holsum.

Durban Mom said...

Yes. It will at standard room temperature. (not Durban super heat) It also hardens the icing so it is more stable. :)

Baker Lady said...

Hie how much can I add to my icing

Jubilee Christian Church International said...

can i use it for baking ?

Unknown said...

So is Holsum Shortening?

Unknown said...

Hi where can i purchase this from?

Unknown said...

Hi there... I am looking for a bread recipe that uses Holsum fat?

Unknown said...

Thanks for that butter icing tip, else I would have to have learnt it the hard way

Unknown said...

hi hi, could i use holsum to add extra shine to my fondant?

Unknown said...

Is holsum a shorting? I have this awesome recipe and it calls for shortening but I don't know what to use please help?

Regards

Unknown said...

Hi does Holsum work like Crisco, I've also been frustrated in trying to understand what to substitute Crisco with cause here in South Africa we don't have the privilege's of buying it from our supermarkets. Also how much Holsum should I use in my butter cream. Thank you

Suzanne said...

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/562499/what-shortening-can-i-use

this link is useful, about Holsum as a Crisco substitute. doesn't say anything about icing though...

Candy Construction said...

Sooo shortening is Hydrogenated vegetable oil which makes it super stable at room temperature. It however increases the Trans Fats to an enormous amount and for this reason the hydrogenation process was outlawed in South Africa. So holsum is not really veg shortening but it's the closest product you will find to shortening.

Candy Construction said...

You can just use butter it will basically do the same thing

Candy Construction said...

Here is also a link to a possibly good shortening product in South Africa https://www.africapalm.co.za/products/bakers-delight.html

Unknown said...

How can i use im my buttercream because it doesn't blend very well. It has some cloths when i add it to butter

Unknown said...

If u do butter cream u can use half hulsome half butter they're not the same in texture .

Post a Comment